Skip to main content

Marathon Recovery Time

It has been 3 weeks since the Coastal Delaware Marathon.  I thought I could accelerate recovery, but that didn't happen.  Week 1 was bad from a soreness perspective.  In week 2, pain started in one calf muscle.  It felt like a cramp but not full-on pain.  This slowly resolved itself in week 3.  I am back to 15+ miles long and tempo runs at target marathon paces.  I am still at 2 off days a week so plan on getting back to normal training weeks starting next week (40-50 miles a week, 2 tempo/hill/internal workouts a week).  I have continued to reduce paces to target zone 2 heart rates for non-aggressive workouts.  Over the summer, this will be the approach to see if I can increase endurance at marathon race pace.  If I can maintain marathon pace of 8:15 minute miles from mile 20 to 26.2, based on  the Coastal Delaware Marathon, I can recover 4.5 minutes.  This would put me on track for the goal time of 3:30 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20220206 Stryd Pod Calibration Change

 So, it seemed obvious today that the pod was still off.  It seems to be reading short of the intended distance based on 7 mile circuit and initial readings on my 11 mile run today.  I feel like .20 miles short on 7 miles.  So .0286 miles off per mile.  Current calibration is 99.3.  Reset to 100.  Current calculations indicate 102.25

2020 Shoe Purchases (Rolling - January)

(1/5) Nike Pegasus 36 Trail - Have always wanted to try a trail shoe, but was pretty sure I didn't need one that could handle the technical trails in places like Colorado.  Focus on was on a hybrid shoe (road and trail), with potentially a GTX/Goretex liner.  My concern with GTX is heat.  

Marathon 101

So I thought I would start blogging based on all the "fun" I am having with my Marathon training that has been going on this year (2017).  This all started quite small in terms of an objective.  Run a 10K in the spring, and consider a half marathon in the fall.  2 co-workers wanted to try, so like I usually do, I was all in.  Found a 10K in April, and started training.  Based on last year's objective of running a 5K using the couch to 5K approach, I looked for something similar.  Sure enough, I found one for a half marathon.  While I was at it, I figured we should shoot for something before the fall.  Thus, the Baltimore 10 miler was identified. Well, all went generally well to get to the 10K (Columbia, MD).  No real issues leveraging the all the experience from last year.  This is where the fun begins.  It seems like 10 miles is a bit of a difference than 6.2/10K.  Equipment that I had wasn't sufficient.  Body needed to...